Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

This is the funniest book I have ever read. It is almost embarrassing how much I am laughing aloud. Who knew punctuation was my pleasure trigger?

Yup, this book is about punctuation. Apostrophes are her particular passion, but she gives time to all its friends - comma, period (full stop in Britain), semi-colon, colon, etc. It's a good reminder of correct punctuation, but her writing and examples are bust-a-gut-laughing funny.

She cries out, "Sticklers unite!" And anybody who knows me knows that I am indeed a stickler. Maybe because I'm a double Virgo, maybe because my grandmother was an English teacher - no matter the cause, I am. And Lynne Truss gives me permission to embrace this side of myself and know that there are others at least as stickleresque as I.

For an excerpt: http://www.eatsshootsandleaves.com/excerpt.html

And now that I feel empowered, I *will* start correcting signs such as "Smile your on camera" (near my old house by Sierra) and others which caused me tremendous amounts of emotional pain. For a while in my youth I carried a red marker with me for those very purposes, but I was convinced I was too extreme. Oh no, I'm not too extreme. I'm not nearly extreme enough. Lynne Truss suggests a balaclava and a weapon - I'm more the sneaky type with my punctuation corrections.

But yeah, if I stop posting here - I'm probably in jail needing somebody to make bail for me. Punctuation correction commando style seems to not be honored in this culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home