Thursday, September 09, 2004

Towing Jehovah - James Morrow

So, I went to my friend's house last week and sat on the floor of his library and said (well, maybe whined), "Lend me a book that is entirely different than anything I would choose to read. But something I would enjoy." He caught my attention with Towing Jehovah, and what a great choice it was.

What if God had a physical male body and died? What if he were two miles long and beginning to decay? What would the angels do, the Vatican, a disgraced oil tanker captain seeking redemption, a Jesuit and a Carmelite, an atheist biologist/playwright? And what would happen to all those in the know about the death?

I like these kind of questions that make me go, "hm." But mostly what I like about the book is the characterization - these people act plausibly in the most absurd of situations. I liked them, I felt for them.

And trust me, after reading this book, Communion will never be quite the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home